Wednesday, July 4, 2012

what is important to us

Following on what i mumbled, albeit incompletely, about yesterday, our inner child or other selves. The thing we want to be, wished to be, could be;-), should have been. All of these are technically unimportants .. What!sic! the frig you may say? No seriously we are what we are, we are a construct of that which we have made ourselves, not discounting that we can change, and moreso than others having gone through a couple of changes, I can attest to it being hard with a capital F.  Through all of this we keep a thread as to what is important to us.  I think we also have to state that i am not debating religion or anything nearly that fundamental. There are some creature comforts that we all love and live by, cup of coffee, cigarette, tea, good bread, smoked paprika, red wine or whatever it is. I am not judging you, and I hope you are not judging me.

While chatting to someone on my mobile phone, the person not being on this desolate windswept and wet island, while she was watching the piano after not having seen if for a number of years indicated how wet it looked ... Yes how wet is my muddy lawn. somehow in the same way there are things we think are important to us like sunshine and summer, we can  change and learn to love other things, granted I do not think i would take to kindly to walking barefoot on my lawn in winter .. now there I draw the line, the feeling of the cold mud squelching between my toes, is possibly one tactile sensation that I would not advise for anytime of the day.

But to return to those things that we find important at a microscopic level, a good cup of coffee always seems to set a tone for things. In the same way a bad cup can really rune things. that sounds so silly if you say it like that, not exactly what and how I was wanting to say what I meant to. Granted, I live in one of the "coffee capitals" of the world, wellington having an anecdotal claim to having one of the highest numbers of coffee shops per capita for a "city" ne a small "city". I think on my list of things to do is still to try and document all the coffee shops that exist currently in wellington. You would have to note my carefully worded sentence around currently, as wellington is totally amazing in that way. A shop will be there one day and then suddenly it is gone and a day later or week later a new shop is in residence and no one even notices. There are long standing shops of course, but the speed at which things can change in a shopfront is totally amazing.

But getting back to what is important to us? I remember before i left ZA i spoke to a friend and said one of my key concerns about going to kiwilandia was that I would be able to at least afford to drink good coffee at home. In some ways it is way better than justa good cup of coffee.. there are an abundance of rostaries within reasonable walking distance from my office. I can walk and buy freshly roasted beans, granted i believe that another friend would possibly scoff because I am not roasting the green beans for myself in a way that would suite them.. maybe another day, currently I still have to make the perfect loaf of bread,   have the perfect day of fishing, catch a moki, cycle around the southern coast, cycle to tora .. Damn the list is getting longer. I think maybe for me it is important to dream and have things i want to do, that are possibly a little unattainable, giving me a challenge to complete them. Yet the sad thing is that once we have done things we want to do other things.

Maybe this weekend I will drink the perfect coffee, make the perfect loaf catch  the perfect fish all for the weekend in question..   regarding the perfect loaf, my mind is not a twix regarding how to make the multicoloured Rastafarian rainbow bread. I um undecided whether to create a plaited or layered bread, only by Friday evening or maybe only on Saturday we will find out?

No comments: