Tuesday, February 14, 2012

changing and keeping the good

I know this is getting repetitive .. but this is the way things roll here ..

I was thinking a little more about changing and wracking my brain about how why what when how.. But of course I try not to detract from living.

I suppose we cannot change everything we have got as it is a function of that which we are, in a factor equivalent phylogentic inertia .. just got to love that..

But I decided that there are things i wont change, I like fishing.. no actually I love it.. I like cycling .. i was born on a bicycle .. and and and
But it often seems like we do things and we forget why we are doing them, the cycling is a good example.. I love cycling, but I was cycling in a way that I did not enjoy it.. I was trying to get fitter faster and all .. but that is not why i cycle .. i cycle because I enjoy it .. and that has its own benefits ..

I like fishing  more than I like catching fish.. a strange thing, but the silence the nothing is meditative .. Dont get me wrong.. catching is also good..
I realised this after watching a video blog of a crazy bunch of slavic dry fly fishermen .. and one of their video blogs in specific.... the one about the Mayfly god .. It cemented what i like about fishing, the outdoors, the exitement.. the ambiance .. I eventually understand the hip flash and tweed brigade ... It is not the fishing.. it is creating the image and living the image ..
Yes there is the aspect of actually catching fish .. but this is not about that only ..
and the people you meet while you are doing it..
But .. something else.. this is not all :-)
The sounds of water, walking through water, the river running past the sound of rising trout, crashing waves, lapping water all ads to the mystique 

And taking pictures..
I stopped enjoying this for a short while, but then over the last week i took about 1200 photos and amazingly i was happy with more than 200-300 of them..
but i still sometimes question what to do with them :-) we will have to wait and see ..

I think we think to much and do to little and focus on the things that dont matter and think about the things that do matter and in the end dont do to much of either and live within a hamster cycle of churning round and round and going nowhere till our legs are to tired to run on the wheel and we retire to the couch...

Btw another thing I have forgotten that I really love in all of this is foreign language movies.. and yes i sometimes question if they are all that good, but somehow being exposed to a form of expression that is so dissimilar to ours as possible both in language, ethics, metaphor and idiom.

And the other thing I really do like is watching movie trailers .. they tend to encapsulate the entire movie in a moment.. yes sometimes the length of the movie is required,,, but at other times they actually tell you the entire story in a trailer .. and it is Fantastic .. especially short feel good movie trailers .. no tedium.. just the feel good punchline... hey I am a victim of our fastfood!instantgraticationculture that we have been exposed to .. where our lives are lived through 144 character length bites .. no not Bytes .. ;-) yes twitter, SMS, facebook status's ..

and I sometimes question what life would be without them ..
At times I want to just unplug .. but strangely it is through these virtual immediate gratification cultural devices that I lead my strangely distant and singular life with its nominal interactions comming through the media which is so different to the life that i wish to lead .. In a sense it displays an extreme sense of anachronism within my personality.. maybe not so much anachronistic but dialectically and bifurcated existence ..

But all I know is the fly that catches the most fish is the one in the water not the one in our imagination .. and our life is the transposition of that which is unreal into the world which is unreal and turning it into a momentary glimpse of an image we have created of how things should be.

enough for now ..

No comments: