Sunday, May 15, 2011

nostalgia and the things we love

seems like this did not save it self...??? bizarre here it is reposted

I got a thinking the other day. That is sounding a little contrived, it seems like i think to much ..
And I wonder if random thoughts going through my consciousness actually count as thinking ;)

But to indulge myself I will continue, that is what this is all about, self indulgence and expression of the nothing between one ear and the other.  To get to the point I was wondering about why we look at square images and immediately fill with nostalgia and admiration for retroviews on the current. When did Kitch become cool, when is it still Kitch! Why is lomographics cooler than realism and HDR, which both to an extent bleed into the unreal, is lomographics the edge of the new impressionism? Or has that been covered a few times, I am sure it has?

I was walking ...

just to interrupt, I watched something on youtube, then something else and another and another, slowly moving myself into a spiral of nostalgia and melancholy, as i view our lives as shadows on a wall, the translation cannot compare. The specific version by van Coke Kartel drives home like a huge wooden stake through my AfriKan heart.  Rapidly spiraling me into deep nostalgia about times long past and memories flashing past like an 8 mm film reel, holding back the tears as the soundtrack of my life plays quietly in the background.  It makes me think of things unrelated, Tretchikoff paintings hanging in the wind under the African sky, dust, rain, the smell of pipe tobacco and standing ankle deep in powder dust.

It is not a bad thing to capture this all in a square image on screen alone on an island a far way away from everything that I remember and have notions to have called my home. Like a gypsy the wheels on my bicycle carry me from day to day. I question if I have returned to my root or am I on the route to discovery? Yes a silly rhyme, but it holds true. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts is it the phylogenetic or social intertia or meme that drives us forward, is it the present, the past we know or the past we are unaware of that drives us along the dream  tracks in the sands of time.. Bla bla bla, But I sit here isolated with thsi question inside my brain?

Dust stained faces track the tears as I remember a past, yet knowing full well It was I who went looking down the rabbit hole.As I mentioned before I was deliberating what effect it has on us when we look at square format image and how that relates to the inner kitch we all have. "the other day I had a genuine illumination" .. A very cool line from a preview of a move that is not out yet. I go on, one day after the other waiting for the flash of inspiration, tempting inspiration all day long, exposing my mind and eyes to all that I can in the time that is available, yet I stand and glance into the emptiness at times, other times I stare down a psychedelic rabbit hole of insanity, at other times the pastels and hues flow like the patterns in carefully poured coffee. Where does it start where does it end, why the resistance against social crutches I ask myself daily? Each step is a step closer, other days it feels like every step is in the wrong direction.

Kitch neo-african art is not the word or phrase that i thought it might be, based on the cover of a book that I saw in the borders closing down sale. Then again neither is neo-kitch african art either? Is aw a book cover on sociology that showed the most amazing picture. words would destroy what i saw and the images and thoughts it put forward into my grey space. It illicited a thousand ships, many little sub images and conflicting thoughts burrowing through my brain all searching for an answer? The question it raised, not answered as one of the millions of side shoots was; why do i get more hits on my Flickr profile when I post photo's taken on my mobile phone than when I put my better pictures on there? Is it all perspective? Do i have the wrong perspective is it skewed?  Where else did this flight of fantasy take me, it took me to the singularity that we will face as a human race within the next 20 years. Sometimes I am amazed at how far technology has gone and is going, flexible paper mobile phones, a burgeoning and ever present sentience surrounding us in the cloud of computers, do we harness them or are they harnessing us? Is this the Terminator effect? Is this skynet.. who knows?


More or less later we will know, what we will know, only we will know. A line gets drawn in the mud, my finger caked with sticky brown earth. I have traded the dust bowls of afriKa for the wet and mud.

Enough self indulgence for the moment.

No comments: