Thursday, March 24, 2011

Random things

I was browsing flickr (me on flickr )the other day.. well yesterday and the day before and many others, I always look at the new and "explored" pictures and came accross this picture (this link):

No not one of mine.. but it got me to think about a book I had read a long time ago, something I think i remember, but will have to go and re-read again. The book is called count zero written by William Gibson, I am not sure if this technically still fits in the cyber-punk Genre or not, as this was after the inital neuromancer and other books that brought this into common cutlure. But I do digress, the aspect of the novel which fascinated me was nto the hacking and all the other intricate dealings in a virtual reality, but rather a couple of scenes in the book where there is an "installation" of objects that is in space, in a random orbiting collection. My memory is most probably clouded.. but I still would like to re-read the book just for this piece. My reasoning, strange, as it may be, is an internal fascination with collages. More than collages though, Collages tend to be one dimensional and at best 3 dimensional when the artist attempts some dimensionality. Here is a postcard from an exhibition i went to recently in Wellington.

 It was at best disappointing, why you may ask? It jsut was, it showed little dimensionality, it had some temporal distortion, some lapses in generation and mixed media and days, but it was childish and he was trying to sell it as ART. But that is neither here nor there.

I think it relates more to these random collections of objects that we as humans gather over time and place on our desks and mantlepieces and all over our existence. Yes this does sound a lot like the social Cairns concept, which i see has now been superseded and destroyed with Geocaching. but there are elements of insane originality and amazing conceptual art. For example the drop boxes, the USB devices that are mounted in places all over the world.

Ok so after a quick reccie over the googleweb if find this artbasedoncountzero 1 2 , not what i had expected. notquite  ... alotcloser  

Gets me a thinking about the media that would best represent the images inside my head, most probably at the end of the day the written word is all that can represent the thoughts in our minds, the more we try to abstract them into physical or visual representations the more we fail, or do we? Can we ever do any justice to what we envisage, or is that part of the challenge to cement our multidimensional thoughts into a single digit dimensional representation, be it an electronic image a 2 dimensional canvas, a sculptural representation of an aspect of something we visualize.

I look i see, I think I am lucky because I have not seen this before, I can see everything with young eyes, it is simple because I am not of this land.

Slowly the sun sets on the past, the silhouette of a life past fades into the dusty red sunset....

a new dawn, a crisp dawn I keep expecting my beard to ice up on the way to work, somehow unlikely but it is starting to feel that way. Every day  heralds a crisp dawn.

well enough of that for now..

time to go and enjoy the weekend

No comments: